Gastronomy is at the heart of life in Franschhoek and there are some fantastic festivals that celebrate the wine and food that has made this area great, as well as the ancestors who founded it. These are a few of our favourites:
- Summer Wines (4 February 2017) – winemakers from the valley bring their favourite white, rosé and MCC wines for visitors to try.
- Oesfees (25 March) – a prestigious wine festival where you can sample some of the best local varieties, as well as specialities such as fresh oysters and artisanal cheese.
- Cheese Festival (28 - 30 April) – indulge in the finest cheeses from local makers matched with wines that bring out their best flavours.
- Literary Festival (19 - 21 May) – one of South Africa’s leading literary events, hosting a diverse range of writers of books from biographies to politics, poetry and love stories.
- Bastille (15 - 16 July) – Franschhoek’s Huguenot heritage is still marked to this day with a Bastille celebration rich with the produce of French vines and cheese making techniques.
- Uncorked Festival (16 - 17 September) – The ideal opportunity to travel from farm to farm sampling wines from the Franschhoek Vignerons.
- Franschhoek Open Gardens (20 - 22 October) - the ideal way to celebrate the start of summer with a tour of private homes and magical gardens.
- Champagne Festival (2 - 3 December) - The social calendar event of 2017, with promises of amazing weather, beautiful people dressed to impress and most importantly South Africa’s finest Méthode Cap Classiques (MCC).